We are currently experiencing network problems with the desktop version of Police Oracle. We hope to have these resolved as soon as possible.

Calls for removal of Carrick’s pension

London Mayor Sadiq Khan has vowed to seek the forfeiture of Carrick’s state-funded pension, but will do so after the sentencing next month.

Calls for the forfeiture of David Carrick’s pension have been backed by ministers. 

Home Office guidance outlines that “forfeiture applications can be made when an officer has been convicted of a criminal offence committed in connection with their service as a member of a police force and the offence has been certified by the Secretary of State as either - liable to lead to a serious loss of confidence in the public service, or, gravely injurious to the interests of the state”. 

Applications are usually made after an officer has committed a crime while on duty. 

The forfeiture of an officer’s pension is a matter for the pension supervising authority - in the Met’s case, MOPAC. They subsequently apply to the Home Secretary for a forfeiture certificate. 

The Home Secretary would then determine whether the conviction would be liable to lead to a serious loss of confidence in the public service (or is gravely injurious to the interests of the State). 

This morning, Home Secretary Suella Braverman said: “David Carrick’s sickening crimes are a stain on the police and he should never have been allowed to remain as an officer for so long.

“I support the Mayor’s Office in pursuing the forfeiture of his pension. I will consider any application for a forfeiture certificate from MOPAC."

Courts have previously determined that a maximum of 65% can be forfeited, the remaining 35% represents the individual’s own contributions. 

It is also possible that officers can have their pension forfeited temporarily or permanently and either in-part or in-full.

A spokesman for Mr Khan said: “The Mayor’s Office for Policing and Crime will pursue pension forfeiture through an application to the Home Secretary as it is clear that PC Carrick committed offences in connection with his service as a member of a police force.”

Carrick’s state-funded pension is reported to be £22,000 a year. 

The forfeiture request is due to be submitted after Carrick’s sentencing next month. 

A Met spokesperson said: "We know that David Carrick used the fact he was a police officer as part of his offending, in particular to exercise even greater control and coercion over his victims and to instil fear in them about what might happen if they came forward to report his crimes.

"Accordingly, we are working closely with the Mayor’s Office for Policing and Crime who will be making an application to the Home Secretary for pension forfeiture in this case."

Meanwhile, the NPCC is set to ask all forces to check officers and staff against national police databases for misogyny and predatory behaviour to find anyone who has “slipped through the net”. 

Details on how this will work are still in the pipeline. 

Home Secretary Suella Braverman has also asked the College of Policing to strengthen the statutory code of practice for police vetting, making the obligations all forces must legally follow stricter and clearer.

Leave a Comment
View Comments 16
In Other News
Stalker jailed after Met uses analytical software for VAWG case
Met reviewing more than 1,000 allegations after series of scandals
Sixteen year vetting gap for officer facing sentence for 49 offences
More News