PCCs backlash over Met’s £5k cash recruitment push

Anon (31/05/22 @ 20:57)

There would not be a recruitment problem if you scrapped the numerous degree entry routes. Make it attractive for more mature, experienced candidates from a wider pool not just students.

Anonanon (31/05/22 @ 22:10)

The one off £5000 figure seems to have ruffled a few feathers in PCC's in neighbouring forces to the MET but as a sweetener its a one off ( I doubt tax free) In this day and age will it generate enough numbers to up stakes and endure long commutes on top of long shifts. I looked at the METS website and the article about this enthuses on the numbers joined to date but as ever no mention of the numbers who left over the same period. The MET have also made adjustments on pension abatement to try and retain officers who have passed their usual point of retirement. This allows them to receive full pension and their monthly salary as if they had left and taken a job elsewhere. This may suit some but I don't think it will make much of a dent in the figures. Apparently the MET need 4000 officers by March next year to make the Uplift target. That's just shy of 450 a month as its nearly June now. They may have to resort to some modern form of the Press gangs of old. One night you've gone out for a drink in town and the next thing you know your in a fluorescent jacket dealing with public disorder!

Anonymous (01/06/22 @ 12:19)

Then they need to make the county forces more attractive and beat this offer.

Annoymous. (01/06/22 @ 15:01)

Harmit Bhara 200k Emoloyment Tribunal award against Beds

Annoymous. (01/06/22 @ 15:04)

The PCC has not got a scooby Home Counties forces have lost staff to the Met for years. As someone who joined with a law degree and did a Masters in the job I oppose graduate entry, it restricts the entry pool and has exacerbated the current recruitment crisis.

Annoymous. (05/06/22 @ 16:31)

Agreed, Sheehy has been implemented peice meal. The Sheehy report said policing was analogous to being a shop worker. Edmund Davies was a review by the Labour Party and the tories took the credit. The uplift in the 2000’s was a Labour initiative. I did some research after I fell into the trap of believing the Tories supported cops.

Annoymous. (05/06/22 @ 16:33)

Annoymous. (05/06/22 @ 16:35)

I agree Anon, I was a Law graduate when I joined and did a Masters whilst I was serving. I oppose making it a graduate proffesion, some of the best cops I worked with did not have degrees.

Annoymous. (06/06/22 @ 20:01)

People in glass houses. We have some very very poor PCC’s nationally who plainly lack strategic insight or critical thinking. I served in a County force and I worked with many former Met officers. The Met and London tax payers, recruit, train and lose experienced officers to many other forces. The cost is more than 5k. When making statements it is important to consider context as well as considering all relevant facts.

Ian (07/06/22 @ 11:43)

How surprising to read of these Conservative politicians railing against the reality of market economics and suggesting that this is somehow not cricket, or even ultra vires! All the more odd given that it is their Party which engineered the environment in which the current recruitment challenges exist. It is easy to see why they are so outspoken: The much-promised uplift of 20000 officers looks unlikely to be delivered; Policing leaders will be increasingly desperate not to be numbered amongst those who will inevitably be blamed by HMG as responsible for this failure. Rather than engaging in internecine bickering, they would be well advised to unite in speaking truth unto power and point out to HMG and the PM the reasons why policing has become so unattractive and to hold them to account for doing something about it. It is apparent that if they don't, their electorate will at the next opportunity they get.